$38 million/year in products processed in this sector are purchased by companies within a 1-hour drive time of the Industrial Complex at the Port of Cates Landing with less than 2% of those products being produced within the 1-hour drive time. This leaves 98% being imported from outside the region, a $37.5 million opportunity for a company in this targeted industry sector to gain sales volume within 1-hour of the site. When adding Mississippi River transportation to the picture, the region becomes much larger than 1-hour giving a huge opportunity for a site location in this sector to be successful.
The state of Tennessee recently announced a 1,500 jobs - $300 million dollar investment for a Tyson Foods plant in our region. This proves the agricultural strength in our region.
There are $171,786,523.24 in agricultural Gross Regional Product Sales produced annually in our area. The Industrial Complex at the Port of Cates Landing has a 345-acre certified industrial site that would be perfect for Value Added Agricultural Processing Industries. Based on the data below, we recommend pursuing the following types of value added processing companies:
- • Value Added Fertilizer Production
- • Lime Processing
- • Soap Processing
- • Corn Milling
- • Feed Processing
- • Soybean Oil Processing
- • Flaxseed Oil Processing
- • Vegetable Oil Processing
- • Canola Oil Processing
- • Corn Oil Processing
Tennessee Select Certified 345 Acre Industrial Site
The Lake County Industrial Site at the Port of Cates Landing is a 345-acre certified heavy industrial site. Adjacent to the port, this certified site sits completely out of the 500-year flood plain. In addition, the site has up to 3,000 additional acres which allows for permitting of Title V air permits.
- • 345 acres
- • No flood plain
- • Adjacent to port on Mississippi River
- • Sits in Foreign Trade Zone #283
- • All geotechnical reports completed
- • 3,000 additional acreage for PSD/Title V air permits
Business Facilities ranked Tennessee the No. 2 state in the nation for Infrastructure according to the magazine’s 13th Annual Rankings Report.
The Industrial Complex at Cates Landing has a very strong substation and is served by three (3) 161 kv lines from multiple generation sources. The substation also has a ring bus configuration allowing TVA to provide an extremely high level of reliability with virtually an uninterrupted power supply.
- • TVA is one of the largest operators of electric transmission lines in the US with approximately 16,000-miles of transmission lines. 13,000 miles of transmission lines are greater than 161kv.
- • TVA has a diverse power mix:
- ◦ 29 hydroelectric dams
- ◦ 11 coal-powered plants
- ◦ 9 simple cycle natural gas plants
- ◦ 5 combined cycle gas plants
- ◦ 3 nuclear power plants (with six operating reactors)
- • Gibson Electric Membership Corporation
- ◦ 12kV Electric line serving site
- ◦ 161kV Electric service to substation
- • Lake County Utility District
- ◦ 4-inch line to site
- ◦ 200 psi
- • Gibson Electric provides both wireless broadband and fiber through agreements with the following service providers
- ◦ Aeneas Internet & Telephone
- ◦ AT&T
- ◦ Gibson EMC
- ◦ Ken–Tenn Wireless
- ◦ Time Warner
- ◦ Verizon Wireless
Water and Wastewater
- • Tiptonville Municipal Water and Sewer
- ◦ 12-inch water line serving site
- ◦ 8 MGD water system capacity
- ◦ 8 MGD excess water system capacity
- ◦ 12-inch wastewater line (under construction)
- ◦ 5 MGD wastewater system capacity
- ◦ 1MGD wastewater excess capacity
- • The 9,000-linear foot slack water harbor within the Industrial Complex provides its industrial customers with unsurpassed loading and unloading capabilities including direct “Roll On/Roll Off” opportunities. The harbor can expand to 16,000 linear feet, if needed.
- • The location along the Mississippi River is immediately south of the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. This makes its location near the northern-most point of the Lower Mississippi River puts the Industrial Complex near the population center of the United States. There are no locks and dams from the Port of Cates Landing south to the deep-water ports on and along the Gulf of Mexico.
- • Cates Landing is located near I-155, I-55, I-69 with connections to I-40.
Cates Landing is directly served by State Highways 22 and 78 and subsequently supported by Federal Highways 51 and 412.
Plans are underway to build a 5 ½ mile rail spur, including on-dock rail facilities, that will connect the port complex to the TennKen Short Line and Canadian National Railroad.
Foreign Trade Zone
- • The Industrial Complex at the Port of Cates Landing is home to Foreign-Trade Zone No. 283. The FTZ offers importers exclusive benefits that are only available to zone users.
- ◦ These benefits include the reduction of or elimination of US Customs duties, the elimination of costly duty drawback programs, drastic reduction of transit times and delays at ocean ports, and an invaluable working relationship with the local Customs office.
Key occupations for this sector have an overall concentration of 1.22, indicating above average workforce availability. These occupations experienced overall job growth of 2.4% from 2011-2016, indicating that the regional talent pool is increasing.
Jobs listed in the right front top quadrant of this table are both growing and above the national average. Jobs listed in the right lower quadrant are growing while still less than the national average.
Our Regional Agriculture Cluster to Support this Sector
Our agricultural sector includes 195 business locations and over 3,249 employees located within one hour of our site.
- • Our labor shed features more employees in the following agriculture related sectors than the average US labor shed:
- ◦ 45 Times more employees in Cotton Ginning than the US average
- ◦ 9 Times more employees in Farm Supplies Merchant Wholesale than the US average
- ◦ 5 Times more employees in Crop Production than the US average
- ◦ 2 Times more employees in Soil Preparation, Planting and Cultivating than the US average
- ◦ 2 Times more employees in Farm Labor Contractors and Crew Leaders than the US average
- • Since 2010 employees in the following agriculture sectors have grown in our labor shed:
- ◦ 38% growth in Soil Preparation, Planting and Cultivating since 2010
- ◦ 31% growth in Post-Harvest Crop Activities since 2010
- ◦ 17% growth in Farm Labor Contractors and Crew Leaders since 2010
The following numbers of skilled people work within the agricultural space within one hour of our site:
- • 1,844 Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- ◦ 1,383 Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers
- ◦ 780 Farmworkers and Laborers
- ◦ 185 Agricultural Equipment Operators
- • Tennessee has the following attributes
- ◦ Tennessee is a Right-To-Work state
- ◦ Business Facilities ranked Tennessee the No. 4 state for Workforce Training Leaders. according to the magazine’s 13th Annual Rankings Report.
Major Companies in our Ag Cluster
- • Cargill
- • Tyson Foods
- • Green Plains
- • Con Agra Foods
- • Robinson & Belew Inc.
- • Tosh Farms
- • Sanders Seed Company
- • Williams Sausage
Tyson Foods Announces $300 Million Investment Creating 1,500 New Jobs
The state of Tennessee recently announced a 1,500 jobs - $300 million dollar investment for a Tyson Foods expansion in our region. This proves the agricultural strength in our region.
Companies in the Agriculture Sector Located in our Region
The following numbers of companies are located within one hour of our site:
- • 135 Crop Production Companies
- • 31 Farm Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- • 16 Soil Preparation, Planting, and Cultivating
- • 6 Farm Product Warehousing and Storage
- • 2 Postharvest Crop Activities (except Cotton Ginning)
- • 2 Farm Labor Contractors and Crew Leaders
Available Industrial Building Located on Dock
A 37,500-square foot building sits at the Port of Cates Landing. The building has 8” floors and has 5 drive-in doors and 5 dock doors. Ceiling Height ranges from 24’ to 30’.
Free Community or Technical College Training for all Tennesseans - Tennessee Promise
- • The Tennessee Promise provides free tuition for either a degree or certificate program for graduating high schoolers.
- • Dyersburg State and Tennessee College of Allied Technology feature degree and certificate programs in Advanced Integrated Industrial Technology.
Tennessee College of Applied Technology
- • The Tennessee College of Applied Technology with multiple locations in our region offers the following programs pertinent to this targeted sector:
- ◦ Diesel Power Equipment Technology
- ◦ Electronics Technology
- ◦ Industrial Maintenance/Mechatronics
- ◦ Machine Tool Technology
- ◦ Welding Technology
- • Business Facilities ranked Tennessee the No. 3 state in the nation for best business climate according to the magazine’s 13th Annual Rankings Report.
- • There are no personal income taxes on wages and salaries in Tennessee.
- • The state Corporate Income Tax rate in Tennessee is 6.5%.
- • According to The Tax Foundation, Tennessee has the lowest state debt per capita in the country, meaning we will have sustainable, low taxes for the foreseeable future.
New Market Tax Credits, Cash Grant Combined with a Financing Program
- • Financing Component:
- ◦ Projects which will have a significant economic impact and invest more than $5 million should consider this option.
- ◦ Financing provides for interest only payments for 7 years.
- ◦ At the end of Year 7, the principal on the note is due and is typically refinanced into a traditional loan with approximately 20% of the debt being forgiven if the project has hit its goals.
- • Cash Grant Component:
- ◦ At the end of Year 7, if you have hit your goals, approximately 20% of the debt associated with the project is forgiven.
USDA Rural Development Business and Industry Loan Guarantee
- • Loan guarantee up to $25 million to lenders for loans pertaining to business real estate, buildings, equipment, supplies, working capital, and debt refinancing. Lenders and borrower negotiate terms. Up to 30 years for real estate, 15 years for machinery and equipment, and 7 years for working capital.
- Loan guarantee for up to 80% of the loan should get your company a better interest rate from the lender.
- ◦ Guarantee is up to 80% for loans of $5 million or less
- ◦ Guarantee is up to 70% for loans between $5 and $10 million
- ◦ Guarantee is up to 60% for loans between $10 million and $25 million
- • Rural Business Development Loan and Grant program which is run through the local utility organization
- ◦ The utility borrows the money for 10 years at 0% interest to create a revolving loan fund which they can lend to your project.
- ◦ Money can be used for: Business expansion needs, fixed assets, real estate, buildings, equipment, or working capital.
- ◦ Up to $1.3 million may be requested ($300,000 grant and $1 million loan)
- • Tiptonville and Lake County are prepared to offer a lucrative package of local incentives including steep discounts in land costs and discounts in city and county property taxes.
- • Click here to view the State of Tennessee’s incentives programs.
- • Click here to view the incentives offered by TVA
The following companies are located within 1-hour of the Industrial Complex at the Port of Cates Landing:
- • 68 General Freight Trucking, Long-distance, truckload
- • 25 Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment (except Automotive and Electronic) Repair
- • 24 Site Preparation Contractors
- • 11 Specialized Freight (except used goods) trucking, long distance
- • 9 Specialized Freight (except used goods) trucking, local
- • 8 Freight Transportation Arrangement
- • 8 General Warehousing and Storage
- • 6 General Freight Trucking, Long-distance, less than truckload
- • 4 General Trucking and Freight, Local
- • 6 Industrial Building Construction
- • 5 Machine Shops
- • 5 Other Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction
- • 4 Oil and Gas Pipeline and Related Structures Construction
- • 2 Shipbuilding and Repair and Maintenance